Home60 RAKsFree PatternsCross StitchNeedlepointPainted PorcelainContact Me

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Advent Calendar Blog Hop 2016

Greetings and good morning! I have the pleasure of taking part in Jo "who can't think of a clever nickname's" Advent Calendar Blog Hop - check out the entire Advent Calendar at Jo's Serendipitous Stitching to see what other stitchers have shared.

OK - Jo gave me the following question:

"Decorations - do you have a favourite decoration you must have on display every year, maybe an heirloom, one the children made or something with a special story behind it?"

I guess my answer would have to be our Christmas stockings. Christmas just isn't Christmas without "hanging the stockings on the chimney with care." 

There are a lot of memories wrapped up in each and every one of them. I used to travel - a LOT - for work. Whenever I'd travel, I'd search out needlepoint shops and purchase something unusual or that spoke to my heart. These stockings have been all over the USA.

 The ones on the left are mine and my DH.....the ones on the right are DD's and the puppies. (Can't forget those puppies)!

My stocking was purchased in a sweet little shop outside of Dallas. DH was attending a conference, so I took some vacation time and tagged along. He patiently drove me to several NPSs - it was in one of those I fell in love with the angel stocking. 

DH is an outdoorsman and he can identify just about any bird and its song. We love seeing the cardinals feeding at our bird feeders in the winter time - so when I saw the cardinal stocking (Atlanta), I knew I had to stitch it for him.



The stocking with the star was spotted in my own neighborhood. It seemed to reach out to me and was perfect for my little girl (who is now 33......this one's been around for a long time <G>).

And - of course - the puppies - we've almost always had dogs. When their time came to cross over Rainbow's Bridge, it was heartbreaking for me to put their stockings away that had their names on them. So, when I spotted this paw print canvas in Phoenix, it was the answer - one for all.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the stitchers and their posts - sharing their Christmas memories. Thank you, Jo, for hosting this wonderful Blog Hop.

34 comments:

  1. Kim, I enjoyed reading the stories behind your stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your stockings are lovely, each one perfect for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty stockings, Kim! Love the one for your puppies, too--can't forgot our beloved pets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful stockings! I also love the stories associated with each one... that IS what makes Christmas special for each of us! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. After all the RAKs it's nice to see that you have some stitching for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an enjoyable post Kim. Your work is so very gorgeous. I see the loving work you have put into those stockings. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful Christmas Stocking Memories. This was a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly our stocking tradition of hanging them on Christmas Eve has kind of fallen to the wayside. My brother took his when he married and I'm not always at Mom/Dad's on Christmas Even so depending on what Mom has for me she might fill the stocking or not. I have a stocking I made for myself (blue corduroy with white tatted cuff) that I hang at my house but I never fill it. I think this year I'll buy myself some stocking stuffers and the cats will be included.

    PS - your red stocking is hung already! I can't wait for opening day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, Kim, I loved reading the story behind each stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stockings are pretty and I like how each is different and has its own story. Love how you have one for your furbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank-you for sharing your story of the stockings. I too love to get stitching stuff when I travel and have many fond memories when I pull out something to work on. My Mom knitted my kids stockings, I've x-stitched my grandkids' stocking. Home made are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stockings are lovely. There is so much work in them... nice memories for Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful stockings and great memories to go with them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cross stitched stockings are very beautiful :) Nice to know the story about those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to get to know the stories behind the stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful stockings Kim. I wish we had cardinals in the UK, they're such gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading about your decorations and holiday memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your stockings are beautiful as are all of your things.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely stockings, I hope they will soon be full of surprises. Thanks for sharing pics and stories. Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! Amitiés.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful stockings, Kim! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your stockings are gorgeous! Loved the sweet stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such pretty stockings and what interesting stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty stockings Kim, no need to put them away when the children are grown, so decorative by the chimney.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a nice collection of stockings, its fun being in the blog hop and coming to visit new stitchers....

    ReplyDelete
  25. So beautiful stockings! I have made only one for my son and I really love it!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kim, you have a BEAUTIFUL blog. I was looking for other cross stitching bloggers. I teach a History of England course, and would love to know more about Tudor Tuesdays. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Janis

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed reading about your beautiful Christmas stockings, and their stories. So sweet that you made one for the furbabies too!
    Hugs, Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing your Christmas stories. I hope Santa fills all those stockings. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful read and post on your Advert Calendar Blog Hop 2016

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this tradition of stockings, yours are lovely and I like the idea of one for the never forgotten animals

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful Stockings! I love the Cardinals. ~C's Cross Stitch Creations~

    ReplyDelete